Out of the past...

75 years ago (1939): In their race with Old Man Winter, officials of the Evergreen Mine Company and the Inland Steel Company have speeded up work on the new open pit mine here to a 24-hour schedule, seven days a week. On February 1, 1939, halfyear license plates went on sale at each branch offi ce of the Secretary of State. By September 1, all motorists will have to obtain the full-year plates instead of the half-year plates. To view more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition.