IR marks City Hall centennial
IRON RIVER—Over the course of the previous 100 years, local residents have seen much change. Generations have come and gone, businesses have opened and closed and towns have been consolidated.
But one constant throughout the last century in Iron River has sat stoically at the corner of Genesee Street and what is now called First Avenue. There, looking much like it did at the outbreak of the First World War, resides the Iron River City Hall.
The city of Iron River, as part of its Christmas in Lights celebration, commemorated the 100-year anniversary of the city hall at a short program on Dec. 6. About 30 residents and members of city government gathered in the city council chambers at 5 p.m. to hear a brief historical presentation on the origin of Iron River and the city hall.
Iron County Historical Museum Society President Bill Leonoff and James Brennan, the vice-president of the museum’s endowment board, read a brief history of the origins of Iron River Township, the city and the city hall.
Leonoff prepared the report, editing materials from the books “Frames for the Future” published by the Iron County Historical and Museum Society (edited by Marcia Bernhardt) and “Iron River, The Good Old Days” by Sandra Thoney.
Leonoff started with a short background on the history of Iron River, which began as Iron River Township. Leonoff reported that the township was first platted in 1881, and the first meeting of the township election inspectors was held at the home of Richard Selden in May, 1882. The next year, a building between Fourth and Fifth avenues was rented as the township hall.
Iron River was incorporated as a village in