August 22, 2014

Subscriber Login

OHV use on the Ottawa: Implementing the travel management rule PDF Print E-mail
Written by Janet Rohde   
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:17 PM

IRONWOOD— As the yearly March 15 to May 15 seasonal road closure comes to an end, the Ottawa National Forest reminds Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) users that all OHVs are required to stay on only those roads and trails designated open for motorized use.
 Use of OHVs off of designated roads and trails is prohibited.

      Each year the Ottawa National Forest produces a map that identifies those road and trail segments that are open to OHVs.
 The 2012 Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) is the same as the 2011 map, and is available free of charge to the public and can be picked up at any Forest Service office.
 “It is important for OHV users to know where they are riding and to understand the map” said Forest Supervisor Anthony Scardina.
 “We want OHV users to enjoy their riding experience on the Ottawa, while at the same time ride responsibly to protect soil and water resources, control the spread of invasive species, provide for public safety, and reduce conflicts with other multiple uses. We hope you enjoy this riding season on the Ottawa.”
          In an effort to improve the ability of Forest-users to comply with Ottawa National Forest motor vehicle regulations and the MVUM, as well as enhance the riding experience, the Forest is making a large effort in the summer of 2012 to identify inaccuracies on the map and any needs for changes to travel designations.
 Forest visitors may notice Forest Service employees on the trails completing monitoring and inventory of roads and trails.
 In addition, more signage will be posted to assist OHV users when riding the designated system of roads and trails.
 It will take several summers to complete the new signage project.
 Visitors are reminded that they are required to utilize the MVUM as the primary source of information about whether or not a road or trail is open to motor vehicle travel.
  To obtain a copy of the MVUM, or for additional information on OHV use on the Forest, visit or call your local Forest Service office.